Sunday 25 March 2012

Wraiths, Paints and...Bicarbonate of Soda?!?

Gribbly Green Menace
This week has been a very exciting week for me in the world of miniature painting. I got my very first (proper) commission and its for a model I have been dying to paint for a while. I often find that there are models out there that I would really like to get my paws on but have no need for them in the armies I do. The reason for this project came about after a conversation with a colleague at work. I was talking about how I had started this blog and showed her some of the pictures of stuff I had put up. She asked me if there were any "Grim Reaper" models, as her boyfriend likes to collect them. At this point my eyes lit up and I immediately showed her the Cairn Wraith GW model. Impressed, she asked me to paint one for his birthday and low and behold here we are!! This is one of my favourite miniatures available at the moment and for a plastic (yes I thought it was finecast too) model the quality is outstanding. I've gone with an unearthly green colour scheme to give it a supernatural glow. This has been one of my more easier projects as the majority of the model is robe.

Woot!!!!!!
In addition to this exciting personal news something else has caught my eye with the up and coming release of the new paints from GW. I can't wait to get the mega paint set of these as they have increased the range to also include glazes and powders, its like Christmas, Easter and New Year in one! I asked a GW staff member why the change and he told me that: one, the company that will now produce the paints could increase the range and two (more importantly) the paints will now be manufactured in the U.K. Why is this a big deal? Well, in my mind U.K. manufacture needs all the help it can get at the moment especially in the current economic climate so all I can say is bravo GW.


Weapons of choice: Super Glue and Bicarb.
Finally, a strange one. A couple of weeks ago I was speaking to a chap about super glue (bare with me on this). I mentioned to him that I couldn't stand using the G9 spray rapid cure, which is very good but leaves a horrible smell making me feel ill. He said to me have you ever tried Bicarbonate of Soda.... At this point as I looked at him blankly thinking had I accidently walked into aa cookery and baking class. Many days past and the conversation was filed in the back of my mind. I forgot about it until yesterday. After, purchasing the latest Wargames Illustrated I read to my amazement that one of the articles in it suggested the same idea and that I give it ago.

Upside down Bete! 30 seconds after
Bicarb application.
So, I did. Having just bought Bete Noire for my Malifaux crew I set about the difficult task of basing her on the Wyrd Metal bases ( a nightmarish task). Wandering into the kitchen and rummaging around my girlfriends baking cupboard (she makes exceedingly good cakes) I found some Bicarb. Massively sceptical, I gave it ago and could not believe the results. Bete Noire was instantly stuck! Who would have thought it Bicarb the Rapid Cure. Try it out and you will be amazed. That's it for this week, I have almost finished my 20 point crew and will have pictures up soon.  I also plan to play a couple more beginner games with Animatronica, but if your ever down Heroes and Legends I play almost everything (except Fantasy, what the hell is a square base?) The new episode of Failhammer is out too, which are always worth a listen. I often find myself painting with it in the background. Right I'm off to super glue more stuff. Bye.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment