Tuesday 15 May 2012

Mayhem part 1


First Founding Mayhem

Its that time of year again. Mayhem. My local club the Tolworth First Founding runs a fantastic two day tournament every year. I have been going to this event ever since I was 16 years old and each year my dreams of bringing home silverware are dashed. This year saw a marked increase in Necron and Grey Knights and a sharp decrease in Tyranids and Tau (there were none). To me this is a great sadness because visually the tournament was very repetitive (Blood Angels, Necrons, Guard, Grey Knights, Blood Angels, Necrons...etc). I had decided to take my old faithfuls the Black Templars. This army has been a favourite of mine for years and I have added, changed and converted this army over and over again. The Templars do struggle now days due to their Codex being soooooooo old but they still are great fun to use.

Grey Knights Army Game 1
My first game was against a Grey Knight Army (an experience I wish to forget). Many people moan and moan about how powerful they are and how they are a broken army and after my 20 nil drubbing I am inclined to agree. My opponent knew exactly what he was doing though so I cannot complain too much. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how good an army is, it will still flop and die if allowed to fall into the hands of a moron. My opponent was no moron.

Look Brothers A Shiny Metal Box! Charge!




"No Brother, let us meander slowly towards that big shiny box that has mysteriously appeared from orbit and stare at it longingly as we forgot to bring any grenades" (I'm not bitter about having no grenades... honest). Anyhoo, my marines did me proud pulling off a spectacular draw. Destroying a variety of elite troops along the way.

Nasty Necrons!
Moving on to the last game of the Saturday my mind was filled with dark thoughts; should I use my Templars as Blood Angels? I'm sure no one would mind? Would they? Just once? It can be a lonely place being one of a very few number of Black Templar players. Your mind can become clouded with heretical thoughts of the dreaded "counts as rule" (dark days). Back to the game, which was against Necrons. They are new kids in town and they have brought their big brothers along to play. Having played against my team mates army for practise I was not looking forward to having my army systematically wiped of the board like a bug on a windscreen. Necrons are the ultimate in shooty armies. The amount of fire power that they can kick out is astronomical. Again my Templars charged into the fires of xenos filth and even though my thoughts turned to despair a couple of lucky dice rolls in the last turn allowed me to scrape a draw. All of my opponents were great fun to play and were keen to share tactics and advice. What happened on the Sunday... stay tuned for part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment