Sunday 20 May 2012

Mayhem Part 2

Welcome back to the Folly of War Mayhem special. We last left the intrepid Black Templars fending off a nasty case of Grey Knight-itis. Day two kicked off with a bang and I played a dreaded Ork Nob biker list. These terrors on two wheels can cause a vast amount of damage unless dealt with properly. Here is my 3 step plan to dealing with this alien filth.
Step 1: Don't let them charge. Difficult I know but not impossible, especially if you can stay in your transports.
Ork Bikers. With added VROOOM!
Step 2: Kill the Warboss!!! Again not easy to accomplish. Walkers are the bane of Nob bikers and dreadnought close combat attacks can make swift work of the big bad.
Step 3: Finally make them take as many leadership tests as you can. Tank shock, Psychic Powers and good old fashioned morale checks are your friend. Follow this strict plan one a week for 6 weeks and you'll just be amazed at the difference (or your money back).
These steps made me pull off a mighty....draw.
My next game was an assassination mission against a Blood Angel Mephiston Army. This was a bit of luck for me as my opponent had one of the most expensive characters in the game and was worth a massive 6 kill points. Death came swiftly to Mephiston as my terminators tore into him ripping him apart like... (insert appropriate gory simile here). A win for me but only just.

QPR Stayed in the Premiership!
(Oh yeah, this is some game of 40K...)
On to the next game. For those of you who do not like sport may wish to skip ahead as this next game turned into the most unusual game of 40K that I have ever played. It just so happened that my football team the Mighty QPR was fighting their own war on the pitch to stay out of the relegation spot. My opponent also happened to be a fan of the club. In a standard game of 40K it is customary to roll dice and use something called "tactics" to win the game. Both my opponent and I found this concept very difficult having to stop mid game to listen to the match results each time they came through on the sound system. (At one point we paused the game entirely when the match went into the final minutes). The game finished with QPR stayed up... Oh yeah and er.. my army beat the Vulkan Heston army it was up against. My opponent was a delight to play and it was a fantastic way to end the weekend.

The Black Templars


Crusade Squads












Terminators
So the end of another Mayhem and happily placed in mid table obscurity (a glorious 28th)! My Templars started slow but warmed up over the weekend and in some instances performed spectacularly. Would I have done anything differently? No. As much as I moan about how they suffer from being an older army I love the imagery they inspire in me. Will I take them to the next Mayhem? Possibly. I am working on another army but who knows, could there be a new Codex on the Horizon? Only time will tell. I would like to thank the Tolworth First Founding on running another spectacular event and also Failhammer for letting be on their show. Right I'm off to work on my next army. Weigh anchor and set sail for Octoberfest and PAW!!!!
Venerable Dreadnought

No comments:

Post a Comment