Sunday 29 April 2012

Rain, Rain Go Away!

When it rains it pours... Why should rain bother a run of the mill wargamer/painter? This weekend gave me an opportunity to start work on my Panther Company (my girl friend buggered off shopping with her friend, her words). However, like the Germans advancing through Russia in 1943 the weather has slowed down my progress to a grinding crawl. The rain has an effect on just about every aspect of painting and can ruin plans for getting things done. How so I hear you cry? Let me Explain:


  • Spraying in damp conditions is a nightmare. The spray can clump, dry misty and ruin the look of the models. Luckily I have a spray shed but I can assure you that running between my house and my shed in the pouring rain is not fun. It was also a huge de-motivator.
  • Secondly, drying times. I don't know if any of you have this issue but in the cold and damp paint, inks and sprays seem to take decades to dry. This meant I have been jumping from project to project. In the long term this will be great as it means that I have continued with a lot of different projects but it does feel like I haven't done anything.
  • Finally, light. The clouds have shaded my house all weekend and the gloom has distorted the colours. (I really need a daylight lamp).
Even through these difficult times (hose pipe bans are very traumatic). I did manage to finish one platoon of Panthers and a small farm cottage. Other projects I have flitered to were... Blood Angel Tactical squad, British Para Mortar Platoon and a Fortified Manor 15mm Pics soon!



Before I leave to set sail to hopefully sunnier climates a product review. I have brought some of the new GW paints to test them out. They are great! The new bases and layers work well together and GW has produced some wonderful painting guides to show which paints layer well to create blends. The coverage is good and if you select the correct colours the highlights can be made to look very subtle. The texture paints for basing are good quality but to me are not going to be a replacement for good old sand and flock. The do come in a variety of colours but I think they would be better for using as mud on tank treads.

Right I'm off brolly in hand into the deluge of  painting seeya.

No comments:

Post a Comment